Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Spaghetti & Meatballs...A Classic Done MY Way

So, for starters, I'd like to point out that I am sitting here blogging at Ogelthorpe University watching a 9-year-old's tennis lessons and getting paid $14/hr to do so (good work if you can find it!). And let me just say, yes, this 9-year-old could kick my butt in tennis....but, I think I have him in the cooking department!
On that note, I noticed we had 4 boxes of spaghetti in our pantry so I decided to make use of that. In addition, I still had 1/2 the package of ground turkey leftover from my grilled pear turkey burgers from the first blog. So I put 2 and 2 together and decided to make spaghetti & turkey meatballs. Like last nights meal, I did the prep work(making the meatballs) ahead of time, before "work."

Meatballs

-1/2 lb ground turkey
-~ 1/4 cup (Italian seasoned) bread crumbs (remember, I don't do well with exact measurements...I usually just eyeball, but for the sake of this blog, I'll guesstimate)
-1 egg (lightly beaten)
-Sprinkling of Italian seasoning (to taste)
-Salt & pepper
-Sprinkling of Parmesan cheese


Combine all ingredients in a bowl and form into balls. Cook in a saute pan drizzled with olive oil over medium heat until well-browned on all sides...my ended up losing somewhat of their ball-shape during this time--oh well, it's all about taste, right?! And taste good the did! The combination of the seasoning played well together and were delicious if I do say so myself!

Sauce


-1 12 oz can (stewed) tomatoes--these happened to be flavored with garlic, oregano, and basil (any canned tomato would work, these were just one of the many I had lying around in my pantry) (Oh, and make sure to drain them before adding them in the pan)
-1/2 an onion (I used vadillia b/c they were on sale) diced/chopped/sliced (whatever!) sauteed
-~1/8 cup of tomato sauce
-1/2 spoon full of basil pesto


Combine all ingredients in a pan and simmer over low heat until ready to use When I got home, all I had to do was make the sauce, boil the noodles, reheat the meatballs, combine & serve.

I decided to make some garlic bread to go alongside the pasta. This was done ahead of time as well.

Using the leftover bread from the previous nights meal, I sliced it, spritzed it was spray butter (hey, 0 calories), rubbed it with minced garlic, and sprinkled it with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
To finish it off, I toasted it in the toaster oven for 5-8min until lightly browned.


0 comments:

Post a Comment