Monday, May 31, 2010

Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri

I'm like the mailman: "neither ran nor snow nor gloom of night...." will keep me from grilling. Of course, my luck, it starts to rain right around dinner time. I had an internal debate about whether I should just bring my meal indoors or continue on with my outdoor grilling. By the time I was ready to cook rolled around, the rain had lighted to a drizzle and the thunder and lightening were long gone; so back to the grill I go.




Chimichurri Sauce

-1/4 cup red wine vinegar
-3 tbs water
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-Salt & Course ground black pepper
-1 tsp red pepper flakes
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


Mix the vinegar, water, garlic, 1 tsp each salt & pepper, and red pepper flakes. Whisk in the oil. Once everything's blended, whisk in the parsley. Set aside

The sauce was very good and flavorful. The red wine vinegar gave it a nice kick. Next time, I think I will chop the parsley in a blender to get a more fine chop.

Grilled Steak

-1 1/2 lbs skirt (flank or sirloin works just as well)


Heat grill until hot. Season steak with salt & pepper and place on hot grill. I was told, for medium-rare to cook 3-4min per side; however, this left the steak too rare for us Freeman's. So, back on the grill the steaks went. After another 5 min of so, we took them off and they were still pretty pink in the middle, but at this point it was late, starting to rain a little harder, and, well, I'm impatient. I need to play around more with steaks and grilling times to get that perfect combination, but this would have to do for tonight. I usually like my steaks medium, and this was just under, but it was still delicious, juicy, and full of flavor.

The steak was drizzled with the chimichurri sauce and served alongside 1 bunch grilled scallions (trimmed of the roots and placed on the grill just after the first flipping of the steaks) as well as grilled pita/tortillas placed on the grill at the same time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment