Saturday, May 15, 2010

Girl Meets Grill


So let me first start off my saying, I never in my life thought I would be a blogger. With that being said, welcome to my first blog entry: "Girl Meets Grill." As summer approaches, it's time to get out of the kitchen and onto the grill--and almost anything tastes better grilled. I've never grilled anything before in my life...that was always my mom's job and she never got around to teaching me. And...needless to say, my dad was no help. So, with the help of Jared, we attempted our first dinner on the grill (and were lucky, because apparently we had just enough fuel to cook our food).

Grilled Pear Turkey Burgers


-1/2 lb lean turkey (This made 3 decent sized burgers)
-Thyme, Rosemary, Poultry Seasoning, Parsley, Minced Garlic, Salt & Pepper (When I cook, I don't do well with direct measurements. I usually go by smell and sprinkle a little of this and a little of that until I'm satisfied)
-1/2 cup bread crumbs
-1 egg (lightly beaten)
-1/2 pear (finely chopped--save the other half for topping)


Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Form into 3 patties. Grill over medium-high heat 5-7min for side flipping ones and making sure not to press down as this will release those delicious juices (and don't forget to spray the grill BEFORE you place the burgers down.....yah, we forget, but not the worst thing that could happen for a first time griller) Once the burgers were done, they were piled high on a roasted garlic bread I had purchased from Kroger(which, by the way, was phenomenal and definitely added a whole other level of flavor profile to the burger) , toasted lightly on the grill, and spread with a fig preserve. This was also accompanied by lettuce, tomato, and the other 1/2 of the pear sliced and grilled as well (about 2min per side). This was served alongside with corn (grilled of course) and pretzels (which, no, I did not grill).

I must say, I was very pleased with myself at how great these burgers turned out and that I mastered the art of grilling!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice first blog!!!!!! I will say, they wern't to shabby. I enjoyed em and I am an eater! We also had a nice glass of lemonaid to go with the meal. I would would say this is a great meal for food lovers and likers. Its light enough on the flavor not to overwhelm the weak eater and still fun on the pallet of people that seek thrill in their burgers!!!

Caroline in the City said...

I LOOOOVE pears on sandwiches. There's this place off J Ferr called Unforgedibles that has a sandwich with pear, brie, turkey and a hot cinnamon honey type thing. I will teach you to make something southern if you teach me how to make something jewish. Deal?

Post a Comment