Friday, May 28, 2010

Out and About: Atlanta

I've decided that, in addition to posting my own creations, I will also post an overview and my review of restaurants on my "list." You see, every city I visit (or, in this case, live in) I create a list of the top places I want to eat at. Most people create places of things they want to see, museums they'd like to visit, attractions, etc....but nope, not me. I tend to eat my way through cities.

So now that I'm officially (despite what my dad may say) back in Georgia, I will start here. Jared dragged (yes dragged) me to his doctors appointment in downtown Atlanta with the promise of lunch afterward (hey, who am I to pass up a free meal?!). As we were pulling in to the office complex I just happen to glance across the street and notice
Gladys Knight & Ron Winans Chicken and Waffles and, since it's on my list, decide it was fate and that this would be the perfect time to check it off.

A little bit of history: The concept of chicken and waffles was born in Harlem, New York at Well's restaurant where they severed many celebrities into the late night hours. Many couldn't decide if they wanted breakfast or dinner, so both were served! The menu consists of your traditional southern soul food. We knew that one of the entrees we would get would be the chicken and waffles (better known as the "Midnight Train"); the other we turned to our server and her expertise and went with the "Smothered Chicken."

So........

Midnight Train: 4 southern fried jumbo (and, yes, they were indeed jumbo) chicken wings and one original waffle


(I apologize for the quality of the pictures; they were taken on my blackberry as this was an impromptu trip and I did not have my camera on hand)

-The chicken was perfectly cooked--moist on the inside, crunchy and perfectly seasoned outer skin. Not overly greasy like most fried chicken places.

-The waffle was a malted blend and, with just the slightest drizzle of syrup, was the perfect combination of sweetness


Smothered Chicken: A tender, boneless, fried chicken breast smothered in their homemade gravy served over a bed of white rice and served with 2 sides and a cornbread muffin



-The chicken was the same story. The gravy on top was delicious. Thick and creamy (2 words not normally in my cooking vocabulary) and full of flavor. The white rice, in my opinion, did not add too much.

-Side #1: Mac & Cheese. SO good. One of my weaknesses. Not overly cheesy. Baked to produce a nice golden brown crust on top.

-Side #2: Squash Casserole. A mixture of zucchini, yellow squash, and onions baked to a sweet taste. And sweet taste indeed...it was almost like a dessert. Kinda a shame you can take something so healthy and innocent and take it to the dark side. Naughty and nice, but oh-so-good.


So verdict....Not a place you'd go often (unless you want your cholesterol and pants size to increase), but a must-try once if you're ever in the Atlanta area.

0 comments:

Post a Comment