Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grilled Pizza

I'm a big girl now; I unhooked, exchanged, and reattached the propane tank all by myself (and without exploding anything or anyone!) Soooo, that means: grilling time again!

Tonight was a Grilled BBQ Mango-Chicken Pizza (yum)





I used store bought pizza dough from Publix (the Publix by me has this neat little diy pizza section where they sell everything you'd need to make your own pizza--I just needed the dough). One of these days when I have the time, I plan to make my own dough from scratch...but that was not tonight. I'm almost ashamed to say that I chose the regular Italian dough over the multi-grain one. Me?! But, an aside, multi-grain isn't all that great...now wholegrain, that's another story, so I guess I don't feel THAT bad.

On that note, pizza dough is harder than I thought to stretch out. It's so elastic and resilient. After putting up a fight with it, will call it a tie between the dough and me. I did manage to stretch it out, but not as much or as perfectly round (for an OCD person like me) as I would've liked. I now have a new-found respect for pizza makers.

The dough is the star of this pizza, not just the blank canvas for toppings. Once the dough was stretched out, it was grilled on either side over medium-high heat for about 3-5min/side. Watch closely as this is a quick cooking method and you don't want the dough to burn!

Once one side was perfectly grilled, I took them off the grill to dress them. After flipping them, (grilled side up) I spread the slightest layer of tomato sauce, layered some thick slices of tomatoes, sliced grilled onions, chopped BBQ chicken (which I had in my freezer pre-cooked and defrosted and tossed with BBQ sauce), diced mango, and a sprinkling of cheese. This was returned to the grill to finish cooking.

The grilled pizza was phenomenal! Forget the toppings for a moment (yes, they were delicious), but the crust was something else. It was crispy and crunchy on the outside, yet soft and doughy on the inside. Warm. Smoky flavored. Yum yum yum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment