Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mom's Chicken Salad

When most people hear the phrase chicken salad, they immediately think globs of fatty mayo smothering bits of chicken with a few other ingredients hidden in there. To some, this may be just fine, but I prefer a lighter version where I can actually taste both the chicken and whatever else is in it. I always though my mom made the best chicken salad and would look forward to it every summer as she always said it was a "summer dish" (now why, exactly, I do not know). I love it because there is big chunks of all the ingredients and it is filled with lots of delicious flavors. Also, it's not drenched in mayo.

Ingredients:

- 1 1/4 cup chopped cooked chicken
-1/2 a small can of water chestnuts
- 1 small can mandarin oranges
- 1 small can pineapple chunks (reserve some of the juices)
- 1/2 cup grapes, halved
- 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light mayo + 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or 1/2 cup light mayo)
- Handful of slivered almonds, toasted
- Chinese noodles

To make the dressing, combine the mayo, Greek yogurt, soy sauce, and 1 tbs pineapple juice. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Toss with dressing. Can be made ahead of time. Garnish with Chinese noodles and almonds before serving (so as to prevent sogginess).

I served this on a bed of lettuce I had leftover with a drizzle of poppyseed dressing for added flavor.

Serve alongside your favorite bread for scooping and dipping.

0 comments:

Post a Comment