Friday, July 16, 2010

Flank Steak with Raspberry-Chipotle Sauce

This recipe comes from the Publix "Apron's Simple Meals" collection (you know, the one where they give you the free samples whenever you walk into Publix). They're really quite convenient; everything you need for that nights meal is right there already gathered for you and the recipe card breaks everything down including utensils, cookware, shortcuts & tips.



Ingredients:
- large zip-top bag

- 1/3 cup molasses

- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce

- 1 tsp garlic salt (or garlic powder)

- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 lb beef flank steak (or any other similar variety - I used skirt)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup raspberry preserves
- 3 tbs chipotle mustard (which I was just going to wing by combining chipotle peppers with regular mustard, no need to buy a whole thing of mustard I'm just going to use 3 tbs of, when I noticed the family I babysit for happened to have some in their fridge which I "borrowed")
- 1 tbs chipotle hot pepper sauce

- aluminum foil
- 6 hamburger buns or 1 french baguette

Steps
:

1. (It says to do it in the oven, but you know how I feel about ovens and summer, so I did it on the grill instead). Preheat grill on high. Place in zip-top bag ingredients 2-4 and shake to mix. Add flank steak; seal tightly and knead bag to evenly coat the steak. Grill 8-10min per side (depending on thickness) for medium steak.


2. Combine remaining ingredients (except bread) in a medium bowl. Sauce may be warmed, if desired. Place in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 30-45 seconds or until warm.


3. Transfer steak to cutting board and cover loosely with foil; let stand 5 min. Slice meat thinly (across the grain). Lightly toast bread and place meat atop. Top with sauce and serve.


The recipe yields 6 serves, but I cut it in 1/3's for just me and my dad. Measurements don't have to be exact.

This was served with a side salad. The meat was nice and flavorful with fruity undertones and a kick from the chiptole peppers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment